Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Tommy Makem-The Leatherwing Bat


'I' said the little leatherwing bat
'I'll tell you the reason that
The reason that I fly the night
Because I lost my heart's delight'

Chorus:
Howdy-dowdy, diddle-um-day
Howdy-dowdy, diddle-um-day
Howdy-dowdy, diddle-um-day
Hi lee-lee, little-I little-o

'I' said the robin as he flew
'When I was a young man, I chose too
If one wouldn't love me, the other one would
Don't you think my notion's good'

'I' said the red-bird sitting on a fence
'Once I loved a handsome wench
She got saucy and from me fled
Ever since, my head's been red'

'Hoot' said the owl with a head so white
'A lonesome day and a lonesome night
Thought I heard some pretty girl say
She'd court all night and sleep all day'

'No' said the turtle dove
'For that's no way for to gain his love
If you want to gain your heart's delight
Keep him awake both day and night'

No comments:



The Rams Horn

The Rams Horn on Facebook