Monday, March 28, 2011

Antidepressants ,everyone needs to watch this.




A young friend of mine who is still a teen is determined to take antidepressants because her father does and she is depressed. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration requires that all depression medications include a warning label about the increased risk of suicide in children and young adults. It is making me so sad. These meds really mess with your personality, destroy your sex drive and cause weight gain. I would not recommend them unless you have tried everything else including exercising, getting better sleep habits and working on a better diet. Counseling can be very helpful but it takes up allot of time and money so its not done as often as it used to be. These drugs make drug companies billions so we need to ask are they being prescribed too often. See my post called Musings of a New World Shepherd for more on my experiences with anti-depressants. The USA is the biggest consumer of these medications in the world. I am still dealing with the fallout from the weight gain and have not been on these for 7 years! These medications destroy your sex drive which should be an indicator they do allot more than the drug companies are telling you. Everyone needs to watch this because almost everyone in the USA has a friend or relative taking these medications.

http://www.ivanhoe.com/channels/p_channelstory.cfm?storyid=23048

http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/5e02e.htm


http://helpguide.org/mental/medications_depression.htm

2 comments:

Sandrajay said...

I have strugled with depression for many years. Vitamin D can work wonders. My doctor noted an extremely low level of D while checking my bloodwork. She prescribed a Rx dose of 50,000.units once a week for 3 months and a maintenance dose of 3 to 5 thousand units daily thereafter. A year later my levels remain normal and I have never felt better! All of us in WNY are probably in need of Vit D!

Gimmer said...

That very well could be what plagues my friend and to make it worse she is up late all the time which means she has less time in the sun. She basically pushed me away yesterday so I guess I have to butt out. This young lady is at college in Ohio which has the same dark winter problem we do. Maybe its time to do a little more research into Vitamin D anyway.



The Rams Horn

The Rams Horn on Facebook