Thursday, April 16, 2009

Susan Boyle - A Star Is Born?


A 47-year-old church volunteer from West Lothian has become an unlikely overnight singing sensation with millions watching her perform online.

Susan Boyle, from Blackburn, stunned judges on ITV's Britain's Got Talent with her performance of I Dreamed A Dream from Les Miserables on Saturday.

Since then Hollywood actress Demi Moore has joined the legions of fans who have voiced their support on the internet.

Ms Boyle has now become the bookies' favourite to win the talent show.

Ms Boyle, who told viewers she had "never been kissed", said she had always wanted to be a singer.

She said: "I entered the competition because I wanted to have a chance at my singing.

"I found it very nerve-wracking to begin with but once I settled down and began to sing, I thought that the audience accepted me a bit more. Then I sort of relaxed and began to enjoy it.

Ms Boyle, who is currently unemployed, is a keen church-goer and community worker who is well-known for her Karaoke performances.

She said: "It all began for me at age 12, when I used to sing in choirs and school concerts. Then after that when I got older I was singing in clubs."

Hollywood fans

Her performance on Saturday has received more than 5m hits on You Tube.

Among those who have clicked to watch are Ghost star Demi Moore and her husband Ashton Kutcher.

He sent her a message on the micro-blogging service Twitter saying: "This just made my night."

Her entry read: "You saw it made me teary!"

After Ms Boyle's audition performance at Glasgow's Clyde Auditorium she is now tipped to beat 75,000 other applicants to the Britain's Got Talent prize, a chance to perform at the Royal Variety Performance.

Tom Kerr, West Lothian's Provost, said: "We would like to add our best wishes for the next stage of the competition.

"Susan has clearly wowed the audience, the judges and the world with a truly fantastic performance.

"Now tributes from across the globe are flooding in, including from Hollywood star Demi Moore.

"And with millions of hits on You Tube, Susan has put Blackburn, West Lothian, firmly on the map."

http://www.show-and-stay.co.uk/theatre-news/susan-boyle-20396.html

No comments:



The Rams Horn

The Rams Horn on Facebook