Saturday, December 27, 2008

Pigs Milk!


George Morland 1763-1804

Last night my husband went into the fridge after cheesecake and asked me why humans don't milk pigs and make things like pig's milk cheese?. I laughed so hard I nearly fell out of my swivel chair. The thought of someone milking all 14 teats was hysterical. After looking it up on line I was able to tell him exactly why mankind does not take milk from pigs for human food. In case the rest of you are laying awake at night trying to ponder this here are the reasons....

"The biggest challenge facing the porcine dairy industry is collecting the product. Pigs on average have fourteen teats as opposed to cows that have four teats. Pigs also differ from cows in their milk ejection time, a cows milk ejection is stimulated by the hormone oxytocin and can last ten minutes, where as a pig's milk ejection time only last fifteen seconds as the suckling pigs stimulate the release of oxytoc in. The technology of a 14 cupped mechanized milking machine that can milk a pig in 15 seconds is not available to pork producers."

No comments:



The Rams Horn

The Rams Horn on Facebook