Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Green Grow the Laurels

I once had a sweetheart but now I have none
He's gone and he's left me, to weep and to mourn;
He's gone and he's left me, for others to see
But I'll soon find another, far better than he

cho: Green grows the laurel, soft falls the dew
Sorry was I, love, parting from you
But at our next meeting I hope you'll prove true
And we'll join the green laurel and the violet so blue.

He passes my window both early and late
And the looks he gives at me would me my heart break;
The looks he gives at me a thousand would kill
Though he hates and detests me, I love that lad still.

I wrote him a letter in red rosy lines
He wrote back an answer all twisted and twined
Saying: Keep your love-letters and I will keep mine,
You write to your love and I'll write to mine.

Now I oft'times do wonder why maidens love men
And oft'times I wonder why young men love them
But from my own knowledge I will have you to know
That the men are deceivers wherever they go.

From Folksongs of Britain and Ireland, Kennedy
Collected from Robert Cinnamond, N. Ireland, 1955



GREEN GROWS THE LAUREL

Green grows the laurel and fresh falls the dew
Sorry am I since I parted with you
Sorry am I since I parted with you
And we'll change the green laurel for the bonnets so blue

I can love little or I can love long
I can love a new love when the old love is gone
I only said I loved him to give his heart ease
Now his back is to me, I'll love who I please.

Often have I wondered why women love men
And then I've wondered what makes men love them
This is a mystery, but one thing I know
The men they are deceivers, wherever they go

This version comes from North Carolina



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

found in Lynn, Frank. 1961. Songs For Singing:

“I Often Have Wondered Why Women Love Men”

I often have wondered why women love men,
But more times I wonder how men can love them,
They’re men’s ruination and certain downfall,
They cause men to labor behind the stone wall.

Oh, some love a short love and others love long,
And some love a weak love and others love strong.
They’ll love you a little and give your hearts ease,
And when your back’s on them they’ll love who they please.

On top of yon mountain where the green grass does grow,
Way down in the valley where the still waters flow,
I saw my old true love and she had proved true,
So we changed the green laurel for the orange and the blue.



The Rams Horn

The Rams Horn on Facebook